Wednesday, October 22, 2008

School fund-raisers...




Are school fundraisers necessary?

Every year schools across the country find ways to raise money. Our school has sold the Entertaniment books, SmartCards and we are having a Fall Festival. That's three in 10 weeks and we aren't done yet. We'll be selling M&Ms, cookie dough and a fun run in the spring. What's it for? Most goes to expenses associated with running copies. Things like paper, machine maintenance, ink, toner a whole laundry list of things. The money also goes to send teachers to various conferences and trainings during the school year.
I understand that the school needs to raise more money to afford the things we need to do an effective job of teaching, I'm just tired of the paperwork, the crappy prizes and feeling like I'm screwing people when I ask my 4th graders to sell cookie dough for 2-3 times more than it costs at any grocery store.
When the headline on fundraising websites trumpets the amount of profit you are guaranteed, it's hard to feel good about asking parents who aren't doing all that well themselves right now to give more.
I know they won't go away, but I don't have to push my kids to sell anything or remind them if they sell 10 buckets of cookie dough they'll get a stuffed animal.

No comments: