Friday, May 22, 2009

MNPS is changing staffs at 5 schools



As the students are beginning their summer vacation today, our two local papers gave very different headlines to the same story.

From the CityPaper: "All employees must reapply for jobs at five Metro schools"

From the Tennessean: " 5 schools to get 'fresh start'
Metro acts quickly to put new teachers in struggling schools

The teachers at these schools were told the last week of school, possibly the last day that they would be finding another teaching job at a Metro school. They can apply for their job back but the statement from the district is not encouraging that option.

Said the official statement:


"Five Metro Nashville Public Schools will be “fresh started” for
the 2009-2010 school year with employees in each school being asked to reapply for their positions in that school or request placement to other open positions within the district. MNPS has been working this week to notify staffs in the affected schools and explain the fresh start process to them prior to the start of summer break.


Each was selected by the district to receive a fresh start based
on the academic needs of students and because they have struggled for a number of years to show significant progress in student achievement. With the fresh start, administrative, teaching and support staff positions at the schools will be reopened for application. All employees have been notified through staff meetings at the schools, where they received information on the fresh start process and received the paperwork needed to reapply for their positions.
“We have visited these schools, analyzed the data and reviewed their history of progress,” said Dr. Jesse Register, Director of Schools, “and we have concerns their students are not making the progress that is needed.
These fresh starts are a proactive effort to put in place a strong, transformational leadership team at these schools, supported by highly-qualified, fully-certified staff.”
“Our first priority is to build highly-effective instructional teams that can meet the needs of students. In some cases, that means looking at a school that has been struggling and giving it a new focus that only a change like this can bring. I’ve fresh started schools in other districts and it works.”


Back in 2001, I went through something like this, I was teaching 6th grade and our school was losing both the 5th and 6th grades and we were told the same things, we could apply for a job in the building if there were any, there weren't; we could follow the students to the middle school, not an option I wanted any part of; or we could go find something else in the system, my choice.

I didn't choose the easiest choice, I had no idea where I wanted to go or what grade I wanted to teach, luckily, I had a great relationship with my principal who let me know what schools were looking for teachers and what schools she thought I would be a good fit. I was able to find a job at the first school I applied and have been there ever since. I have changed grade levels, principals and co-workers but I haven't had to face what the staffs at those 5 schools do, I wish them the best.

It could be a great summer break for them, they can embrace the chance to start over at a new school or they can stress about having to find a new job and be angry that they were seen as the problem at the school and not part of the solution. I hope they choose the former.

No comments: