Thursday, May 14, 2009

Now I see why the boys in my class LOVE recess




The past three days this week, the boys in m y 4th grade class have been doing everything I asked to go to recess. Before this week, they liked going to recess but they weren't going to do anything extra. This week I asked them to do things that 10 year-old boys just do not like to do and they did each one without the usual resistance.

Finish the poems about our favorite family memory? No problem.

Use a ruler and a map scale to find out how far we went on vacation last summer? Sure, we'd love to.

Write an alternate ending to Strega Nona? Love to.
(BTW-most involved Big Anthony and the rest of Calabria being swallowed up by killer pasta before Strega Nona can save them.)

We went outside again today and one of my girls told me, in Spanish, just what was so great about going outside; the strip club.

My 4th grade boys have turned an innocent piece of playground equipment, a firetruck, into their own gentlemen's club. They sit or lay under it and maybe see what kind of underwear the girls are wearing. They haven't yet but not because they haven't been trying. The best part, according to the boys is the pole on the end. They are convinced that a 4th grade girl is going to wrap herself around it and slide up and down it like Rayne at Deja Vu.
Now the question is how to deal with this; to the office? No.
Instead, they don't get to help the kindergarteners during fun day, they get to help me clean up the room. When it's time for the 4th grade to go out they go and play, no need to make this a world crisis with 4 days left in the school year.
I wish they could help me with all my paperwork, now that would be a punishment.

1 comment:

This Brazen Teacher said...

Hey Cannonball,

If you want to be May CTOTM (Cool Teacher of the Month) shoot me an mail at brazenteacher@gmail.com

xoxo Brazen