Monday, February 9, 2009

What does an E mean?


This is the story about the kid, his parents were tired of him not getting better grades, of not even trying to get better grades. According to his parents they had done everything except turn in the work for him. So fed up by their son's lack of effort, his parents came up with the idea as a way to get through to the 15-year-old Western Branch High School freshman.

"He hadn't been trying at all," said the Rev. Donald General Jr., pastor of Perfecting Saints Church of God in Christ in Virginia Beach. "He's not even handing in work he does when we supervise him. My wife and I are not going to give up on Tre."

General and his wife, Tanyeil, say there is no excuse for lousy grades, especially since they said they both have several academic degrees.
As for their son, he hates it and has no plans to do be out on the street again. "It sucks," said Trenton, who apparently got the message. "I don't want to be out here again. I know that much."

I would agree with him except I have no idea what a grade of "E" means. I have the sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with students' self-esteem, and not wanting to make them feel bad if they have done poorly in a class.
Anyone know for sure what an "E" is and why it's being used.

No comments: