Thursday, November 6, 2008

A true athlete and scholar



Florida State's Myron Rolle may have to miss FSU November 22nd game with Maryland; for an interview. No not an interview at the Tallahassee police department like so many Seminoles before him but rather an interview for one of 32 spots as a Rhodes Scholar.

Rolle, a 3.75 pre-med student who finished his undergrad degree in two-and-a-half years, received an e-mail notifying him that he'd been named a Rhodes finalist. Finishing pre-med in 2 and half years is impressive enough but the fact that he is also one of FSU's best players is incredible.

Quotes from SI.com:
"I was disappointed about losing the [Georgia Tech] game," said Rolle, "but the news about the Rhodes Scholarship lifted my spirits."

Rolle, who had not yet been made aware of the conflict, said at the time: "I definitely couldn't miss that game. I wouldn't do that to my teammates."
"I'm definitely going to Birmingham.
"The more I do mock interviews here at school and think about what I want to say [to the committee], I have grown to really want to be a Rhodes Scholar," said Rolle. "If it takes missing a game, that's what it takes."

Rolle, the youngest of five brothers from Galloway, N.J., and the son of two academic-minded Bahamian immigrants, has had his sights set on a career in medicine since middle school.
Were he fortunate enough to attend Oxford, his goal is to "study medical anthropology with some of the greatest minds in the world." The knowledge he'd gain from that field, which examines the social and cultural aspects of medicine, would go a long way toward his ultimate goal of building clinics in the Bahamas and around the world.
Again, this is a football player we're talking about.
"I always talked about being a Rhodes Scholar, but it was just so distant at the time. I didn't think of the magnitude of the award," said Rolle. "Now that it's possibly three weeks away, it has hit me."

Will the NCAA promote this student as much as they can? No, fans aren't real interested in stories about athletes who achieve something with their opportunity at a free education. If he has been arrested it would been on ESPN as soon as it was confiremed but this, not a word.

No comments: